(S)he chose to live in Manchester, a wholly
incomprehensible choice for any free human being to make.(adapted from Mr Justice Melford Stevenson, attributed, Daily Telegraph, 1979)
Hi, my name is Emma Gillaspy and I have a portfolio career in academic and career development. My current roles include:
- Digital Teaching & Learning Manager in the School of Nursing, Midwifery, Social Work & Social Sciences at the University of Salford
- Academic & Researcher Development Consultant
I am passionate about helping people with their professional and career development. I am an outstanding educator at all levels including senior managers, staff and students. In addition to my work in Greater Manchester and across the North West, I am regularly invited to lead programmes across the UK, Europe, Africa and Australasia.
I have a particular interest in engaging students and staff through online and social media and have built an international reputation for developing teaching for academics in their use of social media and other Technology Enhanced Learning.
I am also interested in helping people find and achieve their ideal career paths. I am a qualified executive coach and MBTI practitioner and use these skills to help others improve the performance and careers of the academics I work with.
Other areas of expertise include public engagement, communication and personal effectiveness.
I am a qualified executive coach and MBTI practitioner and use these skills to help academics with their performance and careers.
Before moving into academic and researcher development, I managed the UK and Ireland contributions to Orphanet, a Europe-wide initiative to raise awareness and improve the diagnosis and treatment of rare diseases. I originally trained as a clinical molecular geneticist at the National Genetics Reference Laboratory (NGRL) Manchester following graduation from a PhD studying the genetics of osteoarthritis at The University of Manchester.
Life isn’t just about work though, I live to play too! I have got a wonderful husband (Chris), a son (Harrison), a dog (Trinity) and lots of friends and family I love to spend time with. I like to unwind by playing with my family, socialising, watching sport, baking, going to live gigs and the theatre, reading and watching sci-fi or comedy films and TV. I try to keep fit by running around with my son, walking the dog and doing home exercise videos.
As you can see, variety is the spice of life in both my work and play so am always on the lookout for the next challenge!
Connecting with me
I’m always keen to chat about ideas, issues and opportunities. You can connect with me using any of these platforms:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: @egillaspy and @vitaenwhub
- LinkedIn: http://uk.linkedin.com/in/emmagillaspy
- Prezi: http://prezi.com/user/emmagillaspy
- Slideshare: http://www.slideshare.net/vitaenwhub
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/emmagillaspy
- PhD in Genetics of Osteoarthritis (The University of Manchester)
- Institute of Leadership and Management Level 7 Certificate in Executive Coaching
- Institute of Leadership and Management Level 5 Certificate in Coaching and Mentoring
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) Step I Practictioner
- BTEC Level 5 Professional Certificate in Management Studies